Thursday, October 1, 2020

INTERVIEW: DARK DUO ‘SOME FAITH’ STRIKE BACK WITH “LIMINAL” — AND A SPOOKY VIDEO, TOO

 

First of all, the demonic talisman is made with chocolate syrup.
— INDIGO BALOCH, SOME FAITH

Last time we wrote about these guys, we asked ourselves, “Can Some Faith get any cooler?”

Apparently, the answer is, “Duh.”

The duo’s latest single “Liminal” is strong in its own right, but the video might even outshine it. Much like the members of Some Faith themselves, this video strikes the perfect balance between darkness and light — legitimately scary at times, and a little funny at others. Watch it yourself, then read on to learn some un-”bee”-lievable behind-the-scenes secrets.

 

 

DARKNESS CALLING: First, I'd like to ask you about the song "Liminal" itself. Can you shed some light on the production and recording process of this song? Do any memories stand out in regard to challenges, or the way it all came together?

INDIGO: So this was actually the first song we ever wrote together, and it came together quite quickly from what I remember! It was the process where Brian came up with the music and sent it my way. I listened to it on repeat for a while and the words started coming together. I’d do these terrible voice memo recordings on my phone of me singing over it playing on my laptop. And we built it from there and then started recording at Brian’s. Lyrically, the song, for me, is a lot about loss and guilt and regret. It’s a longing to repair harm and be heard.

BRIAN:  It’s funny now looking back on it now because, to me, it already feels like “old school” Some Faith. Even though the project is only a year old and we’re just beginning to release stuff now, there’s a surprising sense of nostalgia already attached to this track for me.

In terms of the production for this song, it pretty much set the stage for how we have produced every single track since. Just sharing ideas and files back and forth online until we could find time to link up and put it all together in person at my place. It’s been a really simple and very relaxed process, honestly. We record, mix, and master everything ourselves, which is cool because it gives us a lot of flexibility with trying different things out. As Indigo already mentioned, this was the first track we wrote together, so it really just became the foundation for everything.

...this was the first track we wrote together, so it really just became the foundation for everything.
— BRIAN SIKES HOWE, SOME FAITH

DARKNESS CALLING:  The video is incredible. I noticed that Indigo developed the story concept. While it's clear what's happening in the video, I imagine there are some things going on beneath the surface, as well. Indigo, could you tell us a bit about the story from your point of view?

INDIGO:  The video was actually something I had started imagining from day one. As I wrote the lyrics, I felt like I could see this story coming together – I think a lot in images if that makes sense. So there's a connection that gets disrupted in life, and in this video, I wanted to portray that disruption as demonic (for, you know, the spookiness).

It’s really just a big metaphor – you lose someone you care about and don’t know how to fix it. You’re desperate and then you realize that sometimes you just need to accept that you’re the bad guy. When I take the demon into myself at the end, it’s meant to represent that sort of acceptance.

The timeline is a little back and forth because, let’s be real, time isn’t always linear. Time is this strange fluid entity. We’re always repeating ourselves. It’s like Groundhog Day. You need to figure out what you’ve done and hold yourself accountable and change if you ever want to break the chain. The fog scenes are a bridge in time – taking you backwards and forwards in the story. But obviously, on a surface level, it’s a spooky exorcism, which is also cool.

 


 

DARKNESS CALLING:  From your IGTV videos, it's clear that you both have really vibrant, fun personalities. I feel like some of that came across in the video, despite its spooky tone. There's some humor to it, with Brian doing his best to exorcise the evil spirits, and Indigo, you do a great job of acting in this, as well. I think it's safe to say that you're a "performer" and not just a singer. Can you tell us what it was like bringing out these "characters" on video, as opposed to just being anonymous people behind the music?

INDIGO:  Okay, because it’s you, I do feel the need to divulge just how seriously goofy this video was behind the scenes. First of all, the demonic talisman is made with chocolate syrup. Second, in the folder Brian has of exorcism notes and information, you will also find the Bee Movie script because that’s kind of our little inside joke. Whenever I’m checking the mic at practice I got bored of saying “check” and “test” so I just started reciting the Bee Movie script. We felt it had to make its way into the video somehow. During some of the talking scenes, he’s even reading or shouting it, and we couldn’t stop cracking up. Really the whole day was just such a blast. One of the best days I’ve had in a long time.

And thank you! I’ve done a fair bit of acting in the past in college mostly – so it was fun to flex those muscles again. Behind the scenes, to be honest, I kept running around with the cross and doing kickflips saying I was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I think that’s the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever said to a journalist, but here we are. To be honest, everyone who was involved were good friends of ours, so it just felt like being a kid again and making weird videos with your friends (but with more props and more planning). I think that kept us grounded in ourselves. I imagine this video is exactly how it would unfold if Brian and I were demon-hunting and Eric got possessed. Probably. Maybe more kickflips.

BRIAN:  We’re just a couple of nerds having fun, honestly. I think a major motivator for both of us and our commitment to Some Faith is just being able to be ourselves 110%. I’ve always loved dark, alternative music but I’ve also always been a bit of a goofball and at times, have found myself disconnected from the community and how “serious” it can be. I understand where the whole “outcast mentality” comes from, especially in this genre, but that’s just not us. I think it’s possible to take your art seriously and maintain a dark aesthetic while still being welcoming to other people from all walks of life. Regardless of our style/sound, we’re really trying to make music for everyone.

I understand where the whole ‘outcast mentality’ comes from, especially in this genre, but that’s just not us.
— BRIAN SIKES HOWE, SOME FAITH

DARKNESS CALLING:  Brian, I noticed you did the editing on this music video. It looks amazing, and I think you and the director did a fantastic job. I feel like I've seen big-budget music videos that didn't turn out so well. Please feel free to share any thoughts or comments on the production.

BRIAN:  Thank you! After Indigo developed the story, I helped her put together the storyboard and get the timeline all straightened out. The hardest thing about music videos with a continuous narrative is that you only have the length of the song to really tell your story, but we made it work! We shot it all in one location and it only took us maybe 6 or 7 hours to set up and film the whole thing.

Our friend Nathan King, who filmed the video, is a total badass and honestly one of the most talented people I know. The two of us have collaborated on several other videos in the past for different projects, so we have a pretty solid working relationship. I should also mention that he releases his own music under the name Slowhaunt and I 1000% recommend it for anyone into dark, cinematic landscapes with the occasional synth-drenched dance track thrown in. He has done a lot of photography, short film stuff, and other cool video content as well. Look him up!

 

DARKNESS CALLING:  Lastly, you've been telling listeners to subscribe to your YouTube channel. Between this video and your others (IGTV, the lyric video for "The Pain Has A Purpose"), I have no doubt that you have some high-quality stuff on the way. Can you tell us any hints of what's to come, or share any surprises with us?

INDIGO:  Well, we COULD be posting compilations of my favorite baseball fights OR it could be a secret. Who knows.

BRIAN:  I still got a whole heckin’ lot of footage to edit and that’s all I’m going to say for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DarknessCalling.net Is Now Darkness Calling

Hey, folks!   Here, you will find an assortment of archived blog posts from the ashes of DarknessCalling.net While we had a great time runni...