Tuesday, February 16, 2021

INTERVIEW: DOLL KLAW TALKS NEW EP ‘THORNS’

 

I love the duality, because I feel it’s also a mirror image of myself.
— DOLL KLAW

Earlier this month, I was introduced to the music of Doll Klaw — a Los Angeles based artist who specializes in tantalizing synthpop. But don’t underestimate this music: there is a definite bite to it that can’t be ignored.

I was lucky enough to chat with Doll Klaw about their latest release: an EP entitled Thorns, which was just released today. You can purchase it on Bandcamp now, and as soon as it’s released on Spotify, you can be sure to find a track on the Darkness Calling playlist.

To sample Thorns and learn more about this unique artist, read on below. 

 


 

DARKNESS CALLING: Doll Klaw, thanks again for chatting with us at Darkness Calling. For newcomers to your sound, can you sum up your career so far, and what listeners can expect to hear from you on Thorns?

DOLL KLAW: Doll Klaw began a few years ago from songs I would create and record in my bedroom. I started off playing backyard shows, then began playing at bars and art galleries with my theatrical, avant-garde performances. Thorns is the representation of the new, polished era of Doll Klaw where I finally was able to find the balance of my heavily synth-derived sound while showcasing my vocal capabilities.

DARKNESS CALLING: I like how your somewhat bright sound is juxtaposed with the darker image you portray in your photoshoots and cover art. Do you have anything to add on this topic, such as your inspirations or thought process in building the "Doll Klaw" persona?

DOLL KLAW: Well, that can be tied in with one of the many meanings behind the name “Doll Klaw” itself. Cute, sweet, innocent — yet sharp and something you might need to [approach] with caution. I love the duality, because I feel it’s also a mirror image of myself.

 

DARKNESS CALLING: Your songs fit right in at Darkness Calling. We love dark-yet-dancey material that gets stuck in our heads. As soon as your track "Inside" started up, I knew it would be a great fit for our playlist. Can you tell us anything about this track in particular, in terms of the writing and production?

DOLL KLAW: “Inside” is the only song in the EP that I actually created with intention. My music is usually the result of me processing and venting. I never am like “I’m going to make a song sound like this.” It usually just comes out on its own naturally and writes itself. I wrote “Inside” a couple of weeks before I went to the studio, because I realized I needed a song that people could dance to.

DARKNESS CALLING: I always like to ask at least one potentially cliché/dumb question. If you could work with any artist or producer right now, living or dead, who would it be and why?

DOLL KLAW: You’re going to laugh but I would love to work with The Weeknd. When I was younger, I used to be against popular “mainstream” music, but I feel as a musician you can recognize whether a song is good or not, regardless of the genre. I actually used to cover “Happy House” by Siouxsie and the Banshees before realizing he sampled that song in “House of Balloons.” [I especially enjoy] how his newer music is sounding even more obviously 80’s influenced. I respect what he has accomplished. I also think we would get along and make some sick-ass songs [Laughs].

[Editor’s Note: I wouldn’t laugh at all! See this tweet for reference.]

DARKNESS CALLING: Thanks again for your time! What's next for Doll Klaw? Do you have any music videos or livestreams on the way?

DOLL KLAW: Yes! We are doing a livestream show for the Thorns EP release party! You can catch it 8pm (PST) 02/16 on twitch.tv/dollklaw

No comments:

Post a Comment

DarknessCalling.net Is Now Darkness Calling

Hey, folks!   Here, you will find an assortment of archived blog posts from the ashes of DarknessCalling.net While we had a great time runni...